· Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
· We will collect and use personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
· We will only retain personal information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
· We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
· Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
· We will protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
· We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
We are committed to conducting our business in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained.
Sunbury Cedar Ltd.
Personal Information Protection Policy
At Sunbury Cedar, we are committed to providing our clients and customers with exceptional service. As providing this service involves the collection, use and disclosure of some personal information about our clients and customers, protecting their personal information is one of our highest priorities.
We will inform our clients and customers of why and how we collect, use and disclose their personal information, obtain their consent where required, and only handle their personal information in a manner that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances.
This Personal Information Protection Policy, in compliance with PIPA, outlines the principles and practices we will follow in protecting clients and customers personal information. Our privacy commitment includes ensuring the accuracy, confidentiality, and security of our clients and customers personal information and allowing our clients and customers to request access to, and correction of, their personal information.
Collecting Personal Information
Unless the purposes for collecting personal information are obvious and the clients or customers voluntarily provides his or her personal information for those purposes, we will communicate the purposes for which personal information is being collected, either orally or in writing, before or at the time of collection.
We will only collect personal information that is necessary to fulfill the following purposes:
- To verify identity;
- To verify creditworthiness;
- To open and manage an account;
- To provide ongoing service or warranty information to manufacturers or suppliers
- To deliver requested products and other ongoing services
- To assist in risk management activity and to comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Personal information will be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of these purposes and-or as required by law;
- To ensure a high standard of service to our clients and customers;
We will obtain clients or customers consent to collect, use or disclose personal information (except where, as noted below, we are authorized to do so without consent).
If you purchase products from Sunbury Cedar, join our mailing list, apply for a job or enter a contest with us, consent can be provided or it can be implied where the purpose for collecting using or disclosing the personal information would be considered obvious and the client or customer voluntarily provides personal information for that purpose.
Consent may also be implied where a client or customer is given notice and a reasonable opportunity to opt-out of his or her Personal information being used for mail-outs, the marketing of new services or products, and the client or customer does not opt-out.
Subject to certain exceptions (e.g., the personal information is necessary to provide the service or product, or the withdrawal of consent would frustrate the performance of a legal obligation), clients or customer can withhold or withdraw their consent for Sunbury Cedar to use their personal information in certain ways. A client or customers decision to withhold or withdraw their consent to certain uses of personal information may restrict our ability to provide a particular service or product. If so, we will explain the situation to assist them in making the decision.
We may collect, use or disclose personal information without the client or customers knowledge or consent in the following limited circumstances:
- When the collection, use or disclosure of personal information is permitted or required by law;
- In an emergency that threatens an individual’s life, health, or personal security;
- When the personal information is available from a public source (e.g., a telephone directory);
- When we require legal advice from a lawyer;
- For the purposes of collecting a debt;
- To protect ourselves from fraud;
- To investigate an anticipated breach of an agreement or a contravention of law.
Using and Disclosing Personal Information
We will only use or disclose client or customers personal information where necessary to fulfill the purposes identified at the time of collection, or to:
- To conduct client or customer surveys in order to enhance the provision of our services;
- To contact our clients or customers directly about products and services that may be of interest;
We will not disclose personal information to any unrelated third parties.
We will not sell member lists or personal information to outside parties.
We may disclose personal information without consent when required by law, but will limit the information we provide to only what is legally required.
Retaining Personal Information
If we use client or customer personal information to make a decision that directly affects them, we will retain that personal information for at least one year so that they have a reasonable opportunity to request access to it.
Subject to policy 4.1, we will retain client or customer personal information only as long as necessary to fulfill the identified purposes or a legal or business purpose.
Ensuring Accuracy of Personal Information
We will make reasonable efforts to ensure that client and customer personal information is accurate and complete where it may be used to make a decision about the client or customer.
Clients and customers may request correction to their personal information in order to ensure its accuracy and completeness. A request to correct personal information must be made in writing and provide sufficient detail to identify the personal information and the correction being sought.
Securing Personal Information
We are committed to ensuring the security of client and customer personal information in order to protect it from unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification or disposal or similar risks.
We will continually review and update our security policies and controls as technology changes to ensure ongoing personal information security.
We use ‘cookies’ to store non-personal information and to track your traffic patterns on our website. The information is collected in an anonymous and aggregate form to compile general statistical data. Cookies do not give us access to any of your personal information.
Sunbury Cedar has in place security measures and procedures to ensure that your personal information is protected from misuse and from unauthorized access. However, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We cannot ensure the security of the information you transmit to us over the Internet.
Providing Customers and Clients Access to Personal Information
Clients and customers have a right to access their personal information, and the opportunity to amend information will be provided. Access to information will only be withheld if it contains references to other individuals.
Upon request, we will also tell clients and customers how we use their personal information and to whom it has been disclosed if applicable.
We will make the requested information available within 30 business days, or provide written notice of an extension where additional time is required to fulfill the request.
A minimal fee may be charged for providing access to personal information. Where a fee may apply, we will inform the client or customer of the cost and request further direction from the client or customer on whether or not we should proceed with the request
If a request is refused in full or in part, we will notify the client or customer in writing, providing the reasons for refusal and the recourse available to the client or customer.
Questions and Complaints: The Role of the Privacy Officer or designated individual
The Privacy Officer is responsible for ensuring Sunbury Cedar’s compliance with this policy and the Personal Information Protection Act.
Clients and customers should direct any complaints, concerns or questions regarding Sunbury Cedar’s compliance in writing to the Privacy Officer. If the Privacy Officer is unable to resolve the concern, the client or customer may also write to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of British Columbia.
Different shipping rates apply to destinations outside the Lower Mainland or for rushed shipments.
Sunbury Cedar Privacy Officer
10008 River Road
Delta BC V4C2R3